Thursday, April 8, 2010

An Almost Perfect Vacation

Am I the only one who, when imagining an ideal vacation, envisions staying home? I get so tired of my hectic life in which I neglect my home and spend my days being stressed out trying to finish everything on my list, which is only a mental list because I don't have time to write it down. Aaaaak! I would really love to just tell everyone I'm going on vacation and can't be reached by computer or phone, then drop the kids off for a few days of fun with relatives or friends...and drive right back to a quiet house. I might spend the vacation completing a huge project, like redecorating a room or building a water feature out front. Or maybe I would finally sit and deal with the clutter in the linen closet, on my desk, in my closet, etcetera forevera. Of course I would not set my alarm clock, I might skip some mornings of exercise, and I'd probably go on a date with Kent every night. I might even soak in the tub! (I've only used our bathtub twice in the 6 1/2 years we've lived in this home.) Ahhh...that sounds so nice. Come on, you've got to agree, right?

Last weekend began an almost perfect version of that vacation.

Kent and I had a date night Friday, we slept in Saturday and Sunday, had a big breakfast both days, and were spiritually uplifted by the LDS General Conference. (Both of us stayed awake through all the talks!) We spent time with extended family from both sides, and even like being with our kids--a rarity when we travel somewhere on vacation. The restful weekend rolled into a week of spring break that began much the same. More sleeping in, sharing dinner with some friends, skipping exercise one morning, scrapbooking, eating big breakfasts, and finally opening that box of Girl Scout cookies! This week I haven't finished much on my to-do lists, but I have finished a book. Added bonus: I've really enjoyed my kids who have the whole week off from school.

Today I was pulled back to reality just a little bit, and the blissful vacation started to slip away. My hair wouldn't cooperate. I did laundry, babysat, helped with a Church function. It was all fine, but it was normal. Plus, I started getting irritated with the children. I'm not ready for my spring break to be over! When we came home from errands today, a UPS box met me and opened to reveal some plants I ordered online. That box gave me hope. I am determined to reclaim vacation tomorrow! I've set an appointment for a cut and style to defeat my unruly hair, and then I plan to spend the day in my yard and garden, warming my back in the sun and enjoying a leisurely pace until my alarm rings on Monday. Okay, maybe Sunday, since I do plan to go to Church.

The only thing that could make this "vacation" better is if my efforts at watching movies with the kids and reading a novel until the a.m. hours would have somehow transformed my closet from a pile of who-knows-what-is-in-there? to a piece of organized serenity and a pile of cash from everything I sold off. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to have another stab at this ideal vacation in the near future.

5 comments:

Paul said...

Good for you!

Sylwia said...

my favorite vacation i ever had was when my husband took all the kids for a week to washington dc. i loved relaxing in my own house all by myself. it was a true vacation!

Jenni said...

The worst part is right after a vacation when you have to snap back into reality. I'm pretty sure it's the equivalent to a bad hangover... I guess we'll never know...

Pam Williams said...

Have you ever noticed how hard it is to unpack your bags when you come home from a trip? That's because psychologically you really don't want to come home, and you want to be reminded for as long as possible about the exquisite time you had. I have a very hard time unpacking even from a short weekend trip. Go figure - I love my home and love being here. Maybe its the eternal gypsy in my soul.

Charlotte said...

Sounds like a great vacation. I love days when Peter takes the kids and I am left at home alone. But I like leaving the house (with the to-do lists and cleaning) and going places, too.

We are starting spring break tomorrow, I hope mine is a great as yours!