Monday, June 29, 2009

Down By The River


Last week it finally heated up here in Utah. (We had lots of rain this month and I started thinking I could really like living on the northwest coast area. I never get sick of the rain.) So anyway...the kids have been begging me to take them to Provo's Veterans' Pool, which has a great splash pool. But we've been crunched for time and I don't want to spend $20 to splash for two hours or less. Then it dawned on me, after living here for almost six years, that we are within walking distance of the Provo River and never have gone there to play in the water. DUH! So last Thursday we headed over. (#3 was at her Grammy's for a few days.) We took a picnic lunch, an inflatable water chair, and a bottle of bug repellent. The temperature dropped as soon as we reached the river trail, and it dropped noticeably again when we were within a couple feet of the water. So even though the rest of the neighborhood was baking at 92 degrees, we had a pleasant afternoon in the shade. Our favorite spot on the river has a long swing hanging from a tree. You really get that flying sensation on it. #s 1 and 2 took turns walking up river a little ways and gliding down on the inflatable. The water is quite high and fast with all the snow melt, so I was glad we brought lifejackets. To stop themselves, the girls had to catch a tree branch that was hanging down by our spot. After one of #3's tube runs, I noticed the water shoes she chose for the trip: new Church sandals. Lovely.
#s 4 and 5 just played in a calm spot by our private "beach". They tried to build a mudman there, but he kept absorbing himself. It was a good thing I brought the repellent because we were attacked as soon as we picked our spot. I sprayed everyone down, and too late realized I had forgotten #5's head. (Click on the picture to be impressed.) We counted 14 bites across his forehead, poor kid. All in all, we had a nice two hours and we look forward to going back when the water is calmer. I think it will be fun for all of us to tube down a mile or so together.

8 comments:

Laiza said...

Nice photos! Looks like you really had a wonderful time at the river!

Charlotte said...

That looks like so much fun. I used to love playing in the creek by my grandpa's house. I liked the wonky perspective picture with the jumping. I need to learn how to take those.

Nate said...

Poor #5. That looks very unpleasant! I can't believe how tall #1 looks in those pictures, about 8 feet or so. I too loved the rain (and the smaller water/ac bills) but I'm definitely ready for a little sun.

Our family said...

that was me, not SM. I didn't know he even had account to sign into.

Nate said...

Next thing you know - you'll be living on government cheese living in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER! (SNL - Chris Farley)

Sylwia said...

what a fun outing. i'm always a bit scared here in geogria of swimming in the river since there are supposed to be alligators. nice to be in a place where you don't have to worry!

Mary said...

Christy, she may look eight feet tall, but she's still one of the smallest in her grade.

Nate, you picked up on the title! I wondered if anyone would get that.

Sylwia, thank you for reminding me that I should be grateful it's only mosquitoes biting my kids!

amy said...

My Dad just filled me in on a miracle drug for bug bites. It is called "After Bite." I picked some up at Rite-Aid. I am a believer!!!! I had a HUGE collection of bites on the back of my leg that were driving me nuts!!! Not any more:0)!

P.S. We need to figure out a time for the kids to play again. I think Lucy may have forgotten #5's name. #5 is be refered to as "zebra-hud" I laugh everytime.