Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Sanctuary Space: An Introduction

Ten years ago, Kent and I began meditating. Seven years ago, I created a meditation space in my bedroom. I now call it my Sanctuary Space. It has evolved over the years, as has my meditation practice. Here is a little update on both. I'll be editing this post as I write more detailed posts about the elements of this space, so please come back and find links if you want to learn more.

Welcome to my space. Please come in.
I like flexibility, and this space allows me to play with it. With the sheer panels layered over light-blocking curtains, the space becomes the window to the master bedroom, or cloaks the room in sleepy darkness. Inside the alcove, I can shut myself off from the rest of the house. I sometimes wonder at its power of invisibility, because if I'm on my cushion with the curtains drawn, my children never think to look for me in there. They will call all around the house and explore my bedroom, but they don't crack the curtains. Perhaps they intuit that closed curtains mean Mom is unavailable to them for the moment.

Speaking of the cushion, it is more comfortable than it looks! I often meditate and pray early in the morning (another natural deterrent to interruptive children). I like to begin with prayer, kneeling on the cushion and taking in the moonlight of winter mornings (hence the candles in the corner) or the sunrises of summer. The rolled blanket serves to support my arms and forehead if I choose to kneel prostrate. If I have time to follow prayer with a meditation, I place the blanket on the back edge of the cushion to help me sit upright. I can sit quite serenely for a half hour or more.

Overhead I've hung a branch that I pruned from our honey locust tree. I got these sweet, wooden bird cutouts to represent my family members: me and Kent, our five children, plus one extra for the children-in-law and grandchildren we'll gain, and the extended guests we seem to collect over the years. (Looking forward our Colombian 'daughter' coming this summer!) 

My friends, Kelly and her family, alter artworks and affix sculpture to their wall. I always admired their guts for doing so, but it took me years to gain the courage to add permanent words to my walls. Still, taking a Sharpie marker to the paint job has helped the space become mine. When I see a scripture or quote I like, I record it. I collect these scraps of truth-on-paper in my little wooden treasure box, and they eventually make it onto the west wall.
In addition to also serving as a blank canvas for the inspiring words I have yet to discover, the east wall (below) is home to my vision board. The board is placed at eye level so I can stand and visualize all the things I want as part of my life. (Future link and post to come.)
Resting on the floor is my all-time-favorite collection of words from Psalm 46:10. "Be still, and know that I am God." When I brought this framed quote home, I left it on the floor, intending to hang it later; but I found that while seated on the ground for prayer, having those words beside me was the perfect place for them. They are a reminder to be still. In that stillness I know my body, my mind and soul. And I work to accept the greatest invitation that is given to all: 
"Be still and know that I AM, God."

I also have a few tools that help me do the mindfulness and spiritual work of my Sanctuary Space. The one I use most is the Insight Timer app. The app lets me time my prayer, silent meditation, and yoga. Or I can choose a guided meditation to welcome the morning, set an intention, practice loving kindness, explore anxiety, or even settle into a rejuvenating nap. At the end of any meditative practice, the app shows me who in my area and around the world meditated with me, and I can send a quick message of gratitude to any of those people. It's really quite fun to connect with someone on another continent and know we both were engaging in positive energy together.

Pictured above are my other tools; I'll explain them in clockwise order. There's my earbuds for listening to guided meditations without disrupting my sleeping husband. A Chakra Reiki Healing Heart bracelet. I don't necessarily believe that different stones resonate with our chakras--or maybe I just don't understand that yet--but I do like wearing the bracelet as a reminder that I'm seeking balance in my life and striving to be loving. Plus it's nice to think about my friend, Gina, who gave it to me. The Human Charger helps keep my circadian rhythms working, even when sunlight changes with the seasons. And the timer keeps me on track at my vision board. These devices all stay tidy in my little box with my word scraps. Sometimes I keep a gratitude journal here too, but more often I write while in bed at the end of the day, and the journal stays on my headboard.



I feel lucky to have this space in my home. It really didn't make sense to be used for anything else. Kent used to share the space with me, but he now uses a chair and table on his side of the bed for his prayer, meditation, and journaling.











Whether you have a favorite little alcove, or just a favorite quiet corner in your home or garden, I encourage everyone to create a Sanctuary Space. Spending at least a few minutes here every day has become a time to connect with my fellowmen digitally or just in my thoughts. It is where I get grounded and align my plans and desires to God's work. Here I experience His peace, and often His love and interest in my life. It is a holy place I can enter daily, and it shapes the person I am becoming.




  

3 comments:

Krystal said...

I love this, Mary. Thanks for sharing. I tried a guided (beginner) meditation on the Insight timer tonight and really enjoyed it. I have long appreciated your example of mindfulness and true prayer, so thank you for that and for sharing your insights so I can improve in those areas.

Mary said...

I'm so glad you gave it a try! I've just added a new post with more about the app, including a list of my favorite meditations there, plus a free course for beginners. Anything we can do to bring a little peace to our lives will pay forward to our homes and families.

VickieG said...

Wow, this is really wonderful. You are living life with a purpose. I love your sanctuary.